Frequently Asked Questions

An exotic South-of-the-border getaway is a great way to relax while experiencing the beauty of another culture. At Solmar Hotels & Resorts, we want you to have an amazing experience in Cabo San Lucas. Whether this is your first visit or you are a seasoned, margarita-drinking professional, we’ve compiled this list of FAQs to answer everything you need to know about your upcoming trip.

Do you accept Pets?
Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas, Grand Solmar The Residences, Grand Solmar Land's End, Playa Grande Resort, The Ridge at Playa Grande & Solmar Resort welcomes all guests’ with service dog required ONLY for assistance with hearing and vision disabilities. A certified service Dog is welcome at no extra charge with the guest. Per policy, the resort does not allow pets. Certified service animals are permitted on-site along with the guest with the physical disability and no other animals or pets are permitted on-site.
What is the minimum age to check in on your own in a room?
In all our properties the minimum age to check in a room is 21 years. Otherwise you should share a room with at least one person over 21 years old.
Can the resorts assist guests in scheduling activities?
Yes, our concierge can assist you in planning sightseeing tours, excursions, Scuba and Snorkeling tours and other adventures during your stay.
Are there childcare services?
You can arrange for childcare through the Concierge. 24-hour advance notice is required. Please ask for the cost per hour and per child.
Do you have cribs and high chairs?
Yes, we do offer cribs and high chairs upon request. Please email us before you arrive as availability is limited and extra charges may apply.
What is the standard tipping practice?
We suggest a daily tip of $3 for the room maids. Waiters should be tipped 15%, while sky caps and bell-boys should receive a tip of $2 US per bag.
Environmental Sanitation Tax
The Government of the municipality of Los Cabos is implementing the Environmental Sanitation Tax. This tax will be dedicated to the betterment of the local community. Please find below the details of this tax: • How much is the tax? $36.30 Mexican Pesos per room per night ($1.90 USD depending on the exchange rate) regardless of the occupancy. • How will the tax be collected? The tax will be collected at check-in by hotels, timeshares, and lodging facilities across the destinations.• Who is subject to the tax? All travelers visiting a business unit that invoices for lodging services in Los Cabos.• What is the purpose of the tax? The new tax will support government investment on environmental infrastructure, sustainability practices, and safety and security, among other projects.
What is Los Cabos and where is it located?
Los Cabos is a county that incorporates the cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo in the State of Baja California Sur, Mexico. Often called Land's End, Los Cabos is situated on the southernmost tip of Baja.
Where is Cabo San Lucas?
Located around 1,000 miles south of San Diego, California, Cabo San Lucas is a city at the southernmost tip of the Baja Peninsula. The Los Cabos International Airport is conveniently located just 28 miles from our downtown hotel location.
How do I get los Los Cabos?
Getting to Los Cabos is reasonably easy from most major cities in the United States and Mexico. Rent a car or book your shared or private transfer service from the airport to our hotel before you depart. Ask our staff for details. Airlines serving Los Cabos International Airport include Aeromexico, Alaska Airlines, US Airways, American Airlines, Spirit, Continental, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier, Sunwing, West Jet, Virgin America, Sun Country, Air Transat, Volaris, Interjet, Viva Aerobus and various charter flights domestic and International.
Do cell phones work in Cabo San Lucas?
Your cell phones should work in Mexico, but you should definitely check with your service provider before leaving to ensure you have cell coverage for international travel.
What is required to drive in Los Cabos and Baja California?
You must possess a valid, government issued drivers license from your resident state or country. No special permits or bonds are needed unless you plan to drive on the Mexican mainland. Roads are usually safe, but can be narrow. The roadway connecting Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo is a well-lit, modern, four-lane freeway. Insurance is required to drive in Mexico. Be sure to pick up a map of gas station locations and keep your gas tank as full as possible, as gas station locations can be far apart.
What is the legal drinking age in Mexico?
The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18. All visitors who wish to drink alcohol must present a valid photo ID upon request.
What is the time zone of Los Cabos?
Los Cabos and Baja California Sur are located in the Pacific time in summer and Mountain time in winter.
What about the public transportation bus system?
Los Cabos offers convenient daily bus service between the cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Busses run on the main highway and pass each stop every 20 minutes. Standard bus fares between cities is 90 pesos per person (about $5 USD).
Weather and Climate - What is the weather like?
Cabo San Lucas offers a mild, arid climate with over 300 sunny days each year. Temperatures are generally around 80 F during the day and mid-60's at night during the high tourist season (October-April). Low season temperatures (May-September) can hit 100+ F during the day and stay in the high 70's to low 80's in the evening. Most of the region's rain falls during in September and October.
What clothes should I bring?
Dressing in layers is a good idea, with cool, light colored cotton clothing and comfortable shoes. You will want trousers and a long-sleeved shirt for trips in the jungle, and a light jacket or sweater for cool evenings. Don't forget your swimsuit, hat, sunglasses, and plenty of biodegradable sunscreen!
What do you need to travel in Mexico? - Mexico's Entry Requirements:
The Mexican government requires visitors to carry a valid passport from their country of residence. If you are flying into Mexico, you will also need to have a Tourist Card (FMT). Your airline will provide you with an FMT card upon arrival.
What languages do people speak in Mexico?
The official language of Mexico is Spanish. English is spoken in the tourist areas, but feel free to practice your Spanish with our staff and locals.
What is the power voltage in Mexico?
Standard power voltage in Mexico is 110 volts. We highly recommend bringing a voltage converter or purchasing one if you are using 220 volt devices.
Can I get a taxi from my hotel?
Taxis are available at all Solmar Hotels & Resorts, simply ask the staff to hail a cab any time. Be sure to check the current taxi fares posted in the lobby. Taxi fares are generally higher at taxi stands compared to taxis hailed on the street.
What options are there for paying my bill?
You can leave your bill open to make drink and meal purchases, shop at our stores or book special tours. All signed purchases will be charged to your final bill. At the end of your stay, you may settle your bill with Visa, Master Card or American Express credit cards. We do not accept cash, travelers checks, personal checks or Discover cards.
Does my hotel have a parking lot?
Yes, free parking and valet service is available for guests who rent cars or who bring their own vehicles to any Solmar Hotels & Resorts property.
Is there free shuttle service between Solmar Hotels & Resorts?
Our free and convenient shuttle service operates continuously throughout the day and evening. You can travel between Grand SolmarLand's End, Solmar Resort, Playa Grande and The Ridge Resorts. Also, you can travel between Grand Solmar Land's End and Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas or Grand Solmar The Residences.
Do you have a resort store?
All Solmar Hotels & Resorts have convenience stores carrying a selection of imported and Mexican goods. The stores are open daily and offer snacks, deli products, and assorted grocery items. You'll also find soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits, as well as household goods, souvenirs and a drugstore counter.
Where can I exchange money?
Although the official currency in Mexico is the Mexican peso, US dollars are accepted in Cabo San Lucas (but not outside the tourist areas). US and Canadian dollars and travelers checks can be exchanged at our Front Desk. Local banks and Bureau de Change outlets can exchange most currencies for pesos, including US dollars, Canadian dollars, Euros, Pounds, and travelers checks.
Will I be able to get cash from the banks with my credit cards?
Yes, all of our local banks can provide cash advances and most also have convenient ATM machines for after-hours cash withdrawals.